Thursday, January 29, 2009

Stop Placing Your Order and Start Taking Inventory!!

I'm having a bad day. I woke up not feeling well at all! I didn't have much energy, felt nauseous on and off, ran a slight fever, had a horrible headache, I was coughing, had a sore throat, and my arms and legs felt achy. I began coughing up disgusting stuff that I won't even begin to describe, and I pretty much curled up on the couch wishing I could fall asleep and not wake up for a solid week. I don't do 'sick' well. I guess part of the problem is that every time I was sick as a kid, someone would suggest that I was faking it and would encourage me to "stop being a baby". I don't ever remember having that mom that brought me chicken soup and fluffed my pillows. Did anyone have that?? Anyway, when I DO get sick, I usually try not to admit that I don't feel well. Of course, this usually results in getting even sicker and extending the length of my recovery time! UGH! I have a friend who is a pro at being sick. She usually pushes right through, takes whatever meds she needs and faces her day in spite of it all. She makes me feel like a bit of a weeny! LOL!

Have you ever noticed that when things get really rough in life, you start "making a list" of what God could do to fix it all. I found myself imagining what that must be like for Him.... He looks down at this precious child that He gave up His one and only Son to save and all He hears is gripe gripe gripe or moan moan moan about all the things they do/don't have. We go on and on about how miserable life is and how it would be so much better IF He could only give us this or this or that. Sometimes I wonder if He ever regrets that sacrifice simply because he is so fed up with our constant whining and complaining! Of course I know our God in Heaven would never think such a thing, but still.... it certainly proves to me that I could never come close to doing His job!

I admit it! I'm guilty! Sometimes I get so caught up with the things I need or am lacking that I forget the many blessings I have been given. Even on a day like today when I felt like yuck, I was blessed. My daughter was in great spirits and played by herself or watched her videos, my hubby works from home so I never truly felt alone in my yuck, and I had access to meds/water/food that I needed to make myself feel better. I even was blessed with a comfy robe and slippers (which I didn't remove all day) and a television to keep me company. Maybe we would all feel so much better in those hard times if we could only stop ourselves from seeing the problems long enough to take inventory of the blessings! When things are hard though, it seems like I place my orders with God about what I need fixed without being thankful for what I have. It's truly sad!

Did you wake up this morning able to walk across the room without feeling winded?? I know someone who didn't! Did you wake up with the ability to listen to your favorite song or watch your favorite show?? I know several who can't! Did you wake up this morning with a small child (or large one!) that gave hugs and kisses? A child who might have told you about their plans for the day or their hopes for the future? There are several people around the world who would give their very last dime for a chance to do just that! You have so many things to be grateful for! Even things that you do have that aren't so much fun - give thanks!!

1 Thessalonians 5:18 says "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." EVERYTHING! Not just some things! EVERYTHING! Did you have a hard childhood like I did? Give thanks!! Do you have a handicap that makes your life hard at times? GIVE THANKS!! No, it ain't always easy, but neither was Jesus' payment for your life! He has done all of this for you! He has written the book of your life in such a way that you will be strong! So, BE STRONG! BE THANKFUL! BE HIS!

So in those times when you feel your life would be better if you had something else, STOP, THINK, and TAKE INVENTORY! Stop placing that order with God for a new life, a new situation, and new world, different friends, a new church, a new school!! Instead, START by taking inventory of the many blessings He has already given you - I promise it will make whatever situation you are currently in look and feel so much more blessed!

No comments: